LinkedIn

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Handbook for Employers Updated

A new electronic version of the Handbook for Employers: Instructions for Completing Form I-9 (M-274) (Rev. 06/01/11) N is available in the Employer Section of the Publications Page on our Website. This version includes:

  • Expanded guidance on how to complete Form I-9
  • Illustration of I-9 completion for minors and persons with disabilities (special placement)
  • TPS special rules
  • Verification and reverification of F-1 Students, including Optional Practical Training, Curricular Practical Training, Cap Gap and STEM extensions
  • J-1 Exchange Visitors and M-1 verifications and reverifications
Employers are advised to now begin to use the new version for a general reference for the completion of the Form I-9.

In the area of employment verification and worksite enforcement, the USCIS is responsible for Form I-9 and for the administration of the E-Verify employment eligibility verification program. The USCIS publishes the Form M-274 Handbook for Employers, as instructions for employment verification on Form I-9, and maintains a Website, www.uscis.gov .