LinkedIn

Saturday, March 9, 2013

Two-page Form I-9 causes employers to take notice


The USCIS released a two-page Form I-9 on Friday, March 8, 2013 which was effective immediately. The new, revised Form I-9 has a revision date of (Rev. 03/08/13)N.  Employers will have a 60-day grace period, until May 7, 2013, and will not be penalized for use of the previous 2009 version until the end of that period.

The USCIS doubled its size from one page, which was a feature common to the various versions of the I-9 since it was introduced by the legacy INS in 1987. The longer form contains some improvements, including a third space in the section 2 document review and verification section which allows employers to to record Form I-20 or DS-2019 for a qualifying F-1 or J-1 employee.

A revised version of the M-274 Handbook for Employers is expected to reflect the new design of the I-9 form. Until that revision is published, employers are advised to carefully read and utilize the seven pages of instructions that accompanies the fillable Adobe version of the new (Rev. 03/08/13)N I-9.