LinkedIn

Monday, August 18, 2014

I-9 Central: I-9 Policy for Volunteers, Trainees and Interns

What is the USCIS policy on whether employers must verify  I-9s for volunteers or other unpaid individuals (student trainees, interns, residents) that receive job training and experience but receive no form of payment?

I-9 Central provides the following answer: "In general, Forms I-9 are not required for unpaid individuals unless the individuals will receive something of value in exchange for their labor or services, also referred to as remuneration.  Remuneration can come in many forms, such as money, meals, lodging and other benefits, but does not include gifts.  If your company determines that unpaid individuals will receive something of value in exchange for labor or services, your company should complete Form I-9."